First of all, I apologize for the lack of posts over the last couple of weeks. But now, I am back from vacation and ready to go!
I am normally not much of a red meat fan. I eat beef or even pork only once a week or so. I gravitate strongly to fish, chicken and vegetarian meals. Last week in New Orleans, though, my inner carnivore was making a strong showing. I often find that when I visit the South, I want meat, and lots of it! Maybe it's because most meat there is grilled or smoked. Whatever the reason, I had brisket, burgers, catfish, duck, pulled pork and some praline bacon that was to die for! When I came home, a good grilled steak definitely sounded like it would hit the spot. So I picked up a beautiful flank steak and used my favorite quick marinade.
- Flavor/texture: This is my go-to marinade for a reason. Not only is it easy, but it's very flavorful and goes well with just about any kind of meat. The flavors are bold, but not overpowering. I cooked the steak to medium-rare (medium is the max for a cut like flank steak) and cut it against the grain in thin strips, which kept it juicy and tender.
- Difficulty: This recipe is a snap and all of the ingredients should be readily available in your pantry.
- Pros: Easy and tasty! This steak will make you look like a pro. It would be great for Father's Day (hint, hint).
- Cons: I should have let my grill heat up a little more to get some color on the outside of the steak.
- Misc.: I served the steak with roasted herb potatoes and salad. The citrus vinaigrette that I whipped up for the salad made everything look a tad orange, but oh well. I added a bit of fresh rosemary to the marinade just to bring things up a notch. If you don't like cumin, substitute chili powder instead.
- Repeat Performance: This steak already holds a prime spot in my repertoire.
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 tbsp grill seasoning (mix salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder if you don't have grill seasoning)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 lbs flank steak
Mix first 6 ingredients together in a shallow dish. Whisk in olive oil. Add meat and turn to coat evenly. Let meat marinate for 15 minutes.
Heat grill to high heat. Grill the steak 5-6 minutes on each side for medium-rare, 7 minutes per side for medium.
Remove meat from grill and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Get to grillin'!