Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins



I'm not much of a morning person, so anything that gets me on my way more quickly is worth a shot. One of my biggest challenges is actually eating breakfast. I don't like to eat right away when I get up, but my work mornings don't allow for a leisurely AM routine.  On weekdays, I often whip up a smoothie or grab some yogurt, fruit or cheese on the way out the door. When I came across this recipe, I just had to try it.  Muffins are a great portable breakfast, and a good PB&J is always high on my list.
  • Flavor/Texture: I liked the fairly dense texture of the muffins and it really did taste like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
  • Difficulty: These were a snap to throw together. I had all of the ingredients on hand without any special trips.
  • Pros: Easy to make, tasty and quick. 
  • Cons: Be careful to let the muffins cool completely before removing from the pan or taste-testing. The jelly becomes quite hot during baking and tends to bubble up.
  • Misc: Make sure to mix the cereal with the egg and other ingredients until it starts to break down. A minute or two should do it. I used chunky peanut butter to add some texture. You can use any kind of jam/jelly that you want. I used the last of the strawberry freezer jam I made last summer.
  • Encore Performance: These were a hit with the guys at work and I liked them as well. Definitely a keeper!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
adapted from "Parigi" by Andree Falls

1-2 tbsp butter (for greasing pan)
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup All-Bran cereal
1 cup milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp jam or jelly of your choice

Preheat oven to 375. Generously grease a muffin pan with butter.

Pour the milk and cereal together in a bowl and let rest for a few minutes.

In a stand mixer, mix together the egg, melted butter, brown sugar and peanut butter. When combined, add the milk and cereal and mix.

Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add all at once to the rest of the ingredients and stir only until combined. Don't overmix or the batter will tighten up.

Fill the muffin tins with 1/4 cup of the batter, spoon 1 tbsp of jam on top, and fill with another 1/4 cup of batter.  Bake for 30 minutes or until the top feels firm and is slightly brown and crunchy around the edges.

Enjoy with a glass of cold milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment